Monday, July 23, 2012

Sour Cream Pancakes with Maple Cream & Berries

I don't know about you but pancakes would have to be one of my most favourite breakfast treats, or even for dessert with icecream or this amazing maple cream.



I am a fan of big fluffy pancakes, not the flat heavy kind...and this is a recipe I have been using for years now. It's from my "Barefoot Contessa Family Style" cookbook, I have tried to play around with batter to see what I could do to improve it but, it's perfect the way it is....well done Ina, your my hero! They are light and fluffy, with a lovely hint of vanilla and lemon, and with the mixed berries and maple cream, it's pure heaven.



This is the perfect weekend indulgence and great for a brunch get together. I hope you love it as much as my family and I do.


Sour Cream Pancakes with Maple Cream & Berries



1 1/2 cups all purpose flour


3 tablsp sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup sour cream

3/4 cup plus 1 tblsp milk

2 large eggs, room temp

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 tsp lemon zest

Unsalted butter

2 cups mixed berries (whatever you like or what's in season)


Maple Cream

250g cream cheese

1/2 cup maple syrup


 
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Wisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest. Add to the flour mixture, mixing only to combine.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat until melted. Using a 1/4 cup measure pour batter into pan, cook 2-3 mins or until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nice and brown. Flip the pancakes and cook the other side for 1 minute or until browned. Wipe out the pan with paper towel, add more butter and continue cooking panckes until all the batter is used.

Serve with mixed berries and the maple cream.



To make the Maple Cream

In a meduim bowl beat the cream cheese with electric beaters for 1 minute. Slowly add the maple syrup and beat for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour over pancakes.


Note
I like to either pour the maple cream into a small jug or a plastic squeeze bottle for serving, and by all means double the recipe if your serving a crowd or if you like more maple cream than pancake! It will keep nicely in the fridge for a week. I also needed to use an extra 1-2 tblsp of milk as the pancake batter thickened slightly while resting.






No comments:

Post a Comment